Starting another post for the 2nd half of this kit, so the site doesn’t load too slowly (with all the images).Â The first post can be found here.
The decal kit is great, and is a lot of fun, challenging.. but not back breaking.Â I spent a couple hours putting on the main decals so far, using the standard soak in water for 20 second method.Â What I’ve found, and strongly suggest is that everyone should invest a little time and locate some Walthers Solvaset.Â Used, while a decal is drying or dried, just gently spread some drops of it on top of the decal, and let it do it’s magic.Â The first time you use it you will think it’s melting and ruining your decals – but you really just have to wait it out..Â After it’s completely dry you will notice the decal appears like it is literally painted on your model, hugging all the fine grooves and surface features of the plastic itself.Â In my opinion, next to detailing (which I do after all decals are set) is the most important thing you can do to make your model look like an actual piece of art, as opposed to a toy.
Anyways, here’s some photos.
Without a doubt, the hardest part were the black D-Day stripes on the underside of the wings.Â You can see on the picture of the decal sheet that they simply aren’t 8 different stripes, rather they are cut up into various small segments.Â This is due to the fact that they span the landing gear as well.Â What a pain, but it’s really a nice effect when you work through it.
In this pic you can see the difference solvaset makes.Â On the cream fuselage stripe near the tail, notice how you can see the decal snug up and hug the columns of raised rectangular features on the plastic.Â Also, if you look a little to the left of that feature you will notice that the “JR371” decal doesn’t look that good – you can see the film of the decal sheet.Â This is because I haven’t applied Solvaset to it yet. Anyways, will post more pics as I finish up decals and move on to detailing and weathering!